The East Village is full of delicious restaurants and dessert spots. Since I have an insane sweet tooth, I have been to a lot of ice cream shops in my neighborhood. Here are my top six favorite shops and their respective ice cream cones! Will post more on the other neighborhoods as I eat my way through Manhattan and Brooklyn. Would love to know if you have any other favorites!
1. Davey's Ice Cream // This spot is just down the block from me, and is pretty tiny inside. My good friend Brooke, who also happens to live across the street from me, always raved about this place, so I decided to check it out. Their ice cream is all homemade and they use local dairy to create all their delcious flavors. My go to flavor is the SPECULOOS CHOCOLATE CHIP which is a sweet cream ice cream folded with speculoos cookie chunks & dark chocolate chips, YUM!
2. Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream // This spot has the cutest branding and is located also within two blocks of me...eeeek. It is perfect for vegans, since they have a ton of non-dairy options. The vegan flavors are made from cashew milk, coconut milk, coconut oil, cane sugar, cocoa butter and carob bean oil. I am not usually a fan on vegan food, however the VEGAN COFFEE ICE-CREAM is AMAZING, you will not be disappointed.
3. Big Gay Ice Cream Truck // This shop is a staple in New York and most people who come to visit are directed here for the experience and the fabulous ice cream. They have some pretty elaborate flavors and creations, but my favorite is their TWISTED SOFT SERVE, that is perfectly creamy and paired amazingly with chocolate and rainbow sprinkles!
4. Fresco Gelateria // This gelato is literally the best gelato I have ever had (minus in Italy of course). My roommate got me hooked on the COOKIES & CREAM, but they also have a seasonal flavor called OATMEAL that tastes like a cinnamon roll. The shop is super cute to hang out in and the prices are not too bad. They also have an AFFAGATO that is to die for.
5. Sundaes & Cones // This place is super popular in the East Village and they have a TON of different exotic flavors. I went here for the first time on the weekend I moved into my apartment. My mom and bought milkshakes for my dad and boyfriend who were building all my IKEA furniture (score). Although we only got COFFEE MILKSHAKES, they were so delicious, and really hit the spot, probably more so for them than me.
6. Momofuku Milk Bar // Last but definitely not least is my all time favorite, Momofuku Milk Bar. They only have two flavors of soft serve daily, but the original CEREAL MILK with crunch topping is THE BEST! This recipe is made with milk, cornflakes, brown sugar and a pinch of salt. There is really no other ice cream to compare it to, so I recommend you go and try it for yourself!