I am NOT a morning person. I have always preferred to stay up late rather than getting up early. I think it may have stemmed from the sleepless nights at art school to get that advertising campaign finalized. As I get older though, the appeal of getting up earlier and earlier seemed that much more attainable. I have not mastered it quite yet, but I have some things that help me get over that brutal 6 am alarm without hitting snooze.
- Stretch, Stretch & Stretch // I never used to stretch until I started taking dance classes and realized that my body felt so amazing after a nice deep stretch. I am not a fan of yoga, so I prefer to do the stretches that work for me in the morning to get the blood flowing, as well as after dance.
- Energy Smoothie // I live dangerously close to Liquiteria, so I will get a smoothie there every now and then on my walk to work. For all the other days, I try to recreate their "Berry Powerful" smoothie at home. For this smoothie, I use a chocolate protein powder from GNC that gives you energy throughout the day, one banana, chia seeds, spinach, kale, coconut milk & strawberries. It powers my walk in the morning and keeps me full until lunch!
- Gym Classes // This is one of biggest motivators for me to jump out of bed in the morning. I will usually find a group class early in the morning, which really helps inspire me to put my leggings on and head out the door. I will also sign up online, that way I feel an obligation to make it there. I am a member of Crunch Fitness in the city, I think their classes & instructors are amazing and they have saunas and steam rooms at most of the locations!
- Wake Up Lamp // This was a great purchase for me, although I have the light bulbs that you control with your iPhone rather than the bed side alarm clock. Both work the same! This lamp wakes you up to a simulated sunrise, starting before your alarm even goes off. The theory is that this sunlight will stimulate your senses without you knowing, making it a much easier transition to wake up in the morning.
- Calm.com App // This app is amazing. I use it at work, on the subway and I want to start using it in the morning. Its narrator has the most soothing voice and she talks you through quick guided meditations depending on how much time you have. There are a ton of different relaxing sounds you can choose to have in the background as well.
- Vitamin B Complex // I am a crazy vitamin lady and take 7 vitamins every morning with my breakfast. I am convinced they help me with my skin, aging and overall health (blog post about that to come!). Vitamin B complex specifically is great for giving you that energy you need throughout the day. It aids in converting the food you eat into energy, so you can get over that 3 pm lull.