Cris and I just got back from our trip to Holland and Greece, which was absolutely amazing, and there will be plenty more on that in the next couple months. Since being back, I have had a lot of have people ask me if Cris and I "travel well" together. Since most of my other trips abroad have either been on my own, or with my family, I didn't really have anyone to compare him to. However, Cris is literally the best travel partner I could ever ask for. He makes me feel safe in some not-so-safe situations and he is very good at doing his research before hand. Although I had a list of things I wanted to do in each city, he was very good and letting me know what he had planned, and weaving in a bit of both our interests.
Here are the top five things I think it takes to be a good travel partner:
- Patience // Patience is a virtue, and I think this is key when it comes to traveling with your significant other. Although this is not my strong suit, Cris is usually pretty good at diffusing a scary situation as best as possible.
- Planning/Research // One of the great things about Cris is that he is always taking notes on places to visit, restaurants to eat at, or coffee shops to try. Even on our first day in Amsterdam, he had planned a boat ride and brunch so we could power through the jet lag with a couple of mimosas and amazing views of the city. He is also constantly reading the guide book, so we found a lot of great places to try just from that alone!
- Money // I think that being on the same page when it comes to how much money you actually want to spend on a trip is also extremely important. We are both good at saving money and finding deals everywhere we go. We also both had our student ID's on us which saved us a boatload of money at all the museums and historical sites we visited.
- Sense of Humor // I think that having a good sense of humor on a long trip with your BF/GF is very important. Laughing usually always helps any sort of situation and is great for the soul! Cris knows exactly what to do to make me laugh which is one of the many reasons I love him! He also knows how to play pranks on me since I am the most gullible person ever...
- Physical Activity // Since I usually eat 20 times more on vacation that I do in real life, I was adamant about getting a certain number of steps/miles in each day. Cris is also very active and is always ready for a challenge. We ended up hiking up a 1,000 step climb one day, which made the gelato we had after every meal well worth it!
All in all, having a good travel partner is crucial when it comes to seeing the world and I can't wait for our next adventure. Any recommendations?